Blacksmith and the Yankee
SUMMER HOLIDAY READING
By KEN ARNOLD
AGRICULTURAL implement pioneer Daniel Harvey had a nomadic childhood before arriving in the Loddon.
He was one of 11 sons born to Malachi Harvey and Elizabeth McNally.
Three years after his birth, the Harvey family had moved from Gelantipy in East Gippsland to Wycheproof before a shift to Boort in 1881 and thenfinally settling at Mysia about 1887.
The family home of Malachi Harvey was razed to the ground on September 23, 1902, he being absent from the small village of Mysia.
His son Hugh was returning home from work when he noticed a light in the window which turned out to be flames. He managed to save some furniture.
The property was insured by Phoenix Company. Incidentally, residents in the Mysia area still refer to the land as Harvey’s paddock.
Educated at home, Daniel Harvey was apprenticed to a local blacksmith who absconded to the Wedderburn rush.
Harvey followed and demanded his outstanding pay before setting off for Melbourne followed by Korumburra for some time before taking employment with Kurt Hillman who had a smithy at the corner of Doncaster and Wetherby Roads, Doncaster.
When Hillman died, Harvey managed the business until widow Hillman remarried.
Harvey resigned and took employment with H.V. McKay, Sunshine Harvester Works, although he is known to have lived in Union Road, Temple-stowe, until 1911 when he purchased land at the corner of Linsley Street and Whitehorse Road, Box Hill, where he started manufacturing farm machinery, he probably being best known for his Petty disc plough that was capable a passing along under the branches of the fruit trees thus close up to the trunk of the tree.
This stripping plough was patented in 1914.
Harvey had some of his ploughs on display at the showrooms of F R Mellor, 440 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, by September 1918.
By this time Harvey had a diverse range of equipment which included orchard and road ploughs, fruit graders, polishers, elevators and packing house equipment, frames for drying fruit and tobacco, scrub cultivators, harrows, dehydration equipment.
Also in the range were three-point linkage and power lifts for tractor drawn implements, spring-tooth tyne cultivators, tobacco planters, mole drainers, scarifiers, patent orchard and farm harnesses and fruit tunnel dehydrators.
It was not long before the factory was exporting their machinery to New Zealand, South Africa and the Pacific Islands. Hayward Reed, the pear king of California was so impressed with Harvey’s machines that he took several back to America.
Although the business was converted into company during 1937, it was not until March 1949 that a prospectus for an issue of 16,650 shares was filed.
During March 1953 the business was floated as Daniel Harvey Holdings Ltd, with an issue of 89,980 shares, so as to build a new factory in Whitehorse road, Nunawading,
This business was sold to Gerard Australasia whom had a factory in West Footscray during 1962, however, the following year it was sold to Horwood Bagshaw Ltd.
Joel Horwood established the Colonial Iron Works in Hindley Street, Adelaide during 1848. His eldest son, also named Joel, established Horwood and Sons, in Vine Street, Sandhurst (now Bendigo), during 1856.
Over the years the Horwood business underwent various owners until eldest son Horace purchased the long standing machinery manufacturing business of J.S. Bagshaw and Sons Ltd, thus the busininess Horwood Bagshaw Ltd in 1924.
Horwood Bagshaw Ltd purchased T. Robinson & Co, Hugh Lennon & Co, who had already purchased the business of Nich-olson and Morrow, Baltic Simplex Machinery Co. Ltd, Cliff and Bunting, Mitchell and Co, all Melbourne-based farm machinery business houses by 1964 and finally David Shearer Limited of Mannum in 1972.
Daniel Harvey, Main Road, Doncaster, applied for a patent for improvements in the elevation of disc cultivators, No. 18456, August 30, 1901.
Daniel Harvey married Maud Adams and to them were born three children, however, only Hugh Gordon, born 1911, survived and later was admitted to the business.
Daniel Harvey died on December 22, 1960.